Monday, December 20, 2010

The case for staying put...

I will never leave. I have been offered money to go other places to shoot. I will not go. I don’t want to mess up my mind, my vision. I can go anywhere to shoot, but I wouldn’t feel for it.


This quote by A Yin struck me, since I have always been of the mind that seeing the world and experiencing new things is a great source of inspiration and perspective- and that artists and other professionals alike could only benefit from broadening their perspective. But what if the calling is already clear? What if the inspiration, the vision, the goal comes first...and the artist comes second. The perspective necessary to create meaningful work is already there. In this case, to leave the source of his artistic influence would "mess up" his mind, and the vision would be lost. 


A Yin makes a strong case for drawing meaning and feeling into work from one's own backyard. 



No comments: