Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back to the grind...

Having "painter's block" for the past few weeks was the result of a number of factors. I hadn't painted in a while, as I transitioned from Portland to Tulsa, but also I've struggled with choosing subject matter. After my course in the winter, I took away many ideas for developing the series I had begun- increasing scale, and going back to the amorphous shapes that I began with in the fall... returning to these was the key to getting back into the grind, however- I could stand to break out of the abstract again. The problem is, I must see the face in order to paint it, and I have find a face that I care to paint....that tends to take time. In the mean time, here is what I've done:

A scaled-up line study with pinks. Though elongated, this does not really take my previous work any further or develop it in any way. I do like it's simplicity and the way the colors work together, but I will not feel at ease without progress. 24X40"

A line study with yarn. 8X10". I am tempted to take away the line and leave the shapes alone but I fear that it will strongly detract from the composition. Fear never got the artist anywhere...

An experiment in creating depth. Thus far, I do not get the sense that the shapes are approaching or escaping the lines any more than were they flat. I'll look at this further when it is complete. Actually, my father asked why I never leave any spaces blank in these compositions....I can't imagine it would appeal to me more than filling it in, but it's another route to consider... 32X48"

No comments: