Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another map

Although the shapes are askew from what I was going for, and overall the composition is weak, some things are working for this piece. It won't be a complete abortion, I just wish I could crop it as easily in real life as I can in paint. ^^

Creating these maps from memory has been an interesting exercise in visual perception. Even though my goal is to approximate the shapes and then render them to fit a shape of canvas or composition, being aware of my own inaccuracy in placing countries or islands gets in the way of my awareness of where I want the shapes to be for my goals in this particular piece. My original goal was to cram the world map into a square, with the west coast of North American in the top left corner and Japan in the bottom right...

    

What thoughts or emotions are provoked by seeing these symbolic shapes arranged or, in this case, projected differently and sort of misshapen or scattered. Does our mind seek to set it straight the way it is supposed to look, or immediately search for the familiar- hone in on inaccuracies? Do we ever consider the natural alignment of the shapes and spaces beautiful in their own right? 


No comments: