Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Trendy city maps!


Hat-tip to Ali for sharing this site.  I love these maps- Simple, informative, aesthetically appealing... 

I have long been against the use of text in my own art- but I think the tides are changing. It provides such an instant appeal- the business of it, the technical appearance. It's very clean and yet busy. Of course graphic design and painting are capable of completely different looks, but somehow Paula Scher combines the two in her magnificent map: 



I love this piece so much. Talk about busy. I also like that she used an unconventional projection. Was it just in order to put the U.S. in the middle, so that it could bear the brunt of the commentary?  Another interesting facet is what's missing- I'm not sure if I think it was intentional or not to leave out central Asia...it's not always easy to fit everything in proportionally and accurately, but if it doesn't take away from the beauty or from the artist's larger goal, who cares? Regardless...love it.


Here's a close-up so you can see what she's writing on the map. 

No comments: