Thursday, February 24, 2011

Consolidation of two recurring themes, in pink...

Yes, it's another world map painting, but this time it's special. Back in the fall, I painted these shapes with recurring and expanding outlines. They remind me of the high-elevation areas on topographical maps. The shapes are each separate, though, as if the landforms are emerging, or floating in space.




As I was sketching out some ideas for my next painting, I came upon the idea to create these same outlined/recurring shapes out of the protrusions in a stylized world map. It had to be stylized, too, to fit on that square canvas!


An obvious different here, besides the world map theme, is the fill of the circular and half-circular shapes. Someone mentioned to me that I "always just fill them in" and, in sounding quite bored with my methods, compelled me to try something a little different. I'm pleased with it- although the task now is how to fill the remainder- I want to complement the pink with a bright sea green in somewhat concentric ovals. 


No comments: